Coming from a Catholic background, my concept of Confession is founded on my childhood experience of the Sacrement, which I discarded when I left the RC Church.
My view of the place of Confession in the Anglican tradition had been formed by initial contact and learning, in that unless there were real or specific reasons for someone to feel the need for personal confession to a Priest, the General Confession and Repentance within Anglican Daily Prayer and Worship services was sufficient to examine your consience and to offer the acknowledged errors and transgressions to Jesus Christ as my Saviour and Remeemer to be reconciled to God. Confession within the Anglican tradition, seems to be a very specialised area, with few Priests actually available, unless you go to a High Anglo Catholic, where it is commonplace.
Having been thinking carefully and prayerfully about this - I believe that my views are changed, perhaps discussions with a Priest have helped, but also perhaps something has happened in myself, which allows me to put aside pre-conceptions and inhibitions going back to childhood regarding confession to view it in a renewed light.
So, I now accept that Confession AND Reconciliation are necessary to make us whole, to bring things out into the open between us and God, with the Priest as an intermediary - approaching this idea, after 25 years or more, without being in a confessional, is daunting but something I feel drawn to do if I can feel that I am made whole and to be fully reconciled with Jesus Christ.
I have found a Priest for this, and will be going soon. Lots of reflection needed to allow discernment from my inner self, where I have issues, some historic, which need to be aired! Having repented already, they still seem to be there below the surface colouring how I feel and even impact on how I worship. Very Soon!!
You are in my prayers, Ernest. I hope that Confession brings you the inner freedom you seek.
ReplyDelete