Saturday, 20 June 2009

Reading Books

I am doing a fair amount of reading at the moment, having got a fairly extensive reading list as part of my testing a vocation. Reading seems to be a practical exercise, but to take in the content of a book, to put it into context and to reflect on others read in the same context, takes time and discipline.

I had read about five, before I understood that I needed to make a synopsis of what I had read, what I had taken from it and perhaps things in the reading, which had moved me forward or were relevant to my situation. Of course, this now requires me to return to them and complete the exercise.

I also try to find time in a busy life to read the bible as part of a daily prayer cycle, and of course, finding my understanding of it to be enhanced and helped by other books, which explain or comment on the bible passages.

This is a maze of learning, which at the moment, I am finding it difficult to cope with, but things get easier as I get more disciplined.

The lesson for me from this is that being equipped for a vocation, if that is God's will, is not that he will hand me the tools on a plate, rather that he will point out the direction and I will follow and work to obtain the skills needed. Another small realisation, that nothing is given, rather Gods gift to us of an ability to think and reason is there for his purpose, not ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.