Friday, 10 July 2009

Family Service

lI attended a Family Service last weekend, which was the first in my Parish for me and the first in any church in my journey, since it re-commenced within the church last year.

I had been urged to attend by my Vicar who is mentoring me in preperation to test a vocation, and went along with no hopes or expectations of being involved, but rather as a spectator.

I was most surprised to attend a service led by Lay Ministers, which was actually family oriented and involved the Children in acting out the Gospel of the day, and providing the opportunity for them to interact with adults as we acted out our part in the drama being unveiled.

It was prayerful, but also jolly and fun, and eye opening for my fairly narrow perspective on worship and how it could be so positive and joyful. I will certainly be attending more in the future as I believe it has much to offer and is one sign of God working in a situation which allows 'All Age Worship' to be part of a church community, which is established and formed with a varied age grouping.

I commend it to anyone who thinks that it is just for the kids.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to an All Age service or a Family Service yet; I will eventually, I'm sure.

    Oh wow, the word verification box just then was actually "fanciest". Fancy that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the hardest type of service to do well, in a way that genuinely involves all ages in worship and growing in discipleship, but definitely worth working at and certainly not just for kids (or just children with their parents).

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.