Saturday, 6 June 2009

Conflict of Culture and Memory

Sometimes I am caught in unexpected ways. Today I visited an elderly relative who is quite infirm. I listened to his life story, as I have many times before. I listen patiently, and always find a new aspect to the things that he recounts about his life and how things have changed.

Today it was culture. Being 90 years old, means being set in a time warp of sorts, everything today is confusing and abstract, given that the real active part of life is over, but life continues anyway.

When thinking or talking about the problems of the world today, war, famine, terrorism, all are put into perspective by his own experiences 'the blitz', service in North Africa with the 8th Army, seing friends being killed, wounded, maimed in far greater numbers than we could accept today.

Being held as a POW, escaping and fighting with the Italian Resistance, recapture and beating and spending the rest of the war in Germany. Release and service in Post War Germany, before returning to start his family and work life in a much changed britain.

It is difficult to move into todays complex world from his, he drifts between accepting the limitations of NHS treatment for ailments, where he is virtually invisible and a low priority with patience and humour, while recalling the very primitive (by todays standards) available to treat his comrades back in the war.

Coming through all of this has given him a unique perspective on human life. He is a gentle, humble man, who while not a church goer, believes that he did not deserve to be a christian, due to the things he was called upon to do, or see during war service.

It reminds me of the Roman Centurion saying to Jesus, 'Lord I am not worthy, but just say the word and my servant will be healed"

I pray that his soul will be healed before he comes face to face with his maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.