Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Going to BAP : Bishop's Meeting



I was asked to meet the Bishop to discuss whether he would sponsor me for the Bishop’s Assessment Panel (BAP). Advice before the meeting from the DDO was be yourself and don’t wear purple (an illusion to my dress code for the diocesan panel, which had given rise to comment, which was unintentional, but amusing).

On the dot of 10 am, the Bishop came through and invited me into his office. He had a copy of the Diocesan Panel Report and said straight away that it was a good report and that he was going to sponsor me for BAP. He made it clear that all decisions including recommendations from BAP were his to take and he had discretion over the outcomes. I in turn thanked him and spoke briefly about how much I had enjoyed it.

He than said that he needed to just say one or two things to me!

He spoke about being open and accessible. On occasion, my demeanour can present in such a way that others might feel that I’m unapproachable or aloof. He knew that it wasn’t the case, but BAP was an opportunity, which needed to be siezed from the outset.

As guidance, he believed that I should concentrate on three or four things about my vocation, which were important to me - and to speak well about them. There’s little point in preparing for everything and coming across as too glib.

Secondly, he indicated that I shouldn’t suppres my Army background. It had been the major part of my working life, which had given loads of transferable skills and experiences, particularly that of leadership and collaborative leadership. I explained that I had felt that the ‘directness’ of my army style wasn’t always appropriate in pastoral situations. He acknowledged this, but said - “just be yourself”.

He advised me that I should go forward to BAP with anticipation and to enjoy it. Sure it will be intense, it is after all an examination to some extent of suitability - but it is also an opportunity to be seized, experienced and enjoyed for its challenges and blessings. I said that I was looking forward to it.

We discussed my planned future move to be nearer my parish - he advised against moving early. He suggested that I needed to concentrate on the process of discernment, BAP and possible training and ordination. After which, it would be time to consider a move.


What did I get from this meeting:

Firstly, I went into the meeting feeling on a high after the Diocesan Panel Report, but also apprehensive as I was well aware that if the Bishop disagreed with the advisors, it could all end messily or he could refer me back for more discernment as he had done twice previously. When it became clear that it wasn’t to be the case, the apprehension disappeared in an instant. I felt affirmed and encouraged in his trust in the advice given by his advisors.

Secondly, the meeting was a useful tool for me to gauge the approach that I took with him. I went determined to be open and chatty, naturally, not from a forced position. I was comfortable with this and on this occasion the Bishop put me completely at ease. The situation was different from our previous meeting and was productive with an outcome that I had hoped for. His remarks about demeanour I had already registered and have striven to address. I’ll need to just be myself for BAP, because it’s the real person underneath the exterior they want to meet - not the one presented to the world.

Thirdly, it seemed to me to be another step along the path - the journey that I had wanted to speed up, had been slow, for someone who suffers from impetuosity and sometimes impatience. But I appreciate that discernment can’t be rushed., the consequences for getting it wrong, both for the candidate and any possible future ministry could be disastrous. Time, space and reflection are needed from all sides to allow God’s will through discernment to be understood.

I say it often, God is Great!!




5 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations. I am sure you'll shine at BAP!! That's great news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so pleased that this went well - though it was to be expected in a way after the success of your diocesan panel. I know it will take a while to feel confident about it all, but the outlook really does look good now. Thoughts and prayers from your favourite Victoria R!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and support. BAP Dates now received 14-16 May at Shallowford, Stone, Staffordshire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not too long then to wait for your BAP in May. "Be yourself" is good advice I think. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.