Thursday, 11 August 2011

Hackney Riots


I come originally from Bethnal Green/Hackney. I lived just down the road from where the riots took place yesterday. It was a deprived childhood, and lots of other things contributed to me leaving to join the Army and never to return in the mid-1960’s.

In the 1980’s and early 1990’s, working in London,   I worked with Hackney Council and their Schools on providing Work Experience Schemes for pupils, who came from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds,  all of whom, I  found eager to learn and to participate. Some went onto further education, while for others, in the main, from ethnic minorities, didn’t really have the option. I can remember one young Muslim girl, who came for interview with her mother, and anticipated her mother chapheroning her during the two week placement. This would have been impossible to manage, and we reluctantly had to decline the placement. After these placements, we would visit the schools to see the pupils reporting on their placements and their achievements during their time with us. I know that these young people contributed as much to us as we did to their education. So, I have a bias towards the young people, living in sometimes high deprivation, but who were determined to make the best of themselves for thier own sake and for their families.

More recently,  I’ve travelled regularly through Hackney, it has changed hugely, both with a much more diverse population, but also to the community facilities that exist there. The local authority, once a bye word for poor administration, has improved greatly and has striven to improve the area for its people. Some parts of the area has moved upmarket, evidenced by the high numbers of professionals moving into the area. Sadly, other parts, particularly the numerous social housing estates while improved, continue to suffer a high level of deprivation. Monied, city professionals, live, side by side with these estates of social housing, whose occupants, appear to derive little from their environment. Poverty, and unemployment are as bad, if not worse than it was in my young days there in the 1960′s.

The quality of the social housing is slowly being improved, but Hackney is a poor borough and does not appear to have received much regeneration money, most of which appears to have gone east to Stratford, Bow and Waltham Forest. Social evils include the high level of unemployment (about 35% of those between 18 and 65, mainly with the young), poor access to higher education NHS and Social services. Deprivation is a way of life. There is also the other social evils, drug abuse, gang violence and crime. Hackney struggles to overcome its history and to do better for its people.

I know that there are good community agencies, Churches and  charities doing good work in the Borough. Diana Abbott a local MP is a powerful advocate for the people of Hackney, but I wonder if anyone listens to her. These agencies even in partnership are just touching the tip of the iceberg of need in the borough.

The East End, including Hackney, has always been a melting pot, and it’s no different today. Local population use probably as many languages as are on the planet. Normally, they live side by side with no problems, but there is a high awareness of the police and stop and search is an issue for younger people. I understand that it was such an action was the spark that lit the tinder, ready primed to explode. I suspect that there is a an element of criminal activity, gang activity involved, but the scene was already set by what had happened in Tottenham the night before. I’m not sure about pre-planning or the use of social networking to spread the trouble but, given the high access and use of it by the younger generation, I’m sure it was used in some way to spread the word.

I’m not condoning in any way, what happened, those who carried out the violence, looting and everything else that happened, bear their own responsibility. But, in our safe havens, in suburbia, the realities of life in an inner-city borough are often ignored until they slap us in the face. We’ve allowed a monster to be created by our own inaction, our own inability to see further than our own bank balances and mortgages and self interest. We’ve ignored the needs for social justice and providing for those who are penalised by their post code. Now the monster is biting back.

When the dust settles, when the trials are over, when the Inquiry reports, when we’ve moved onto the next headline, the situation there will remain essentially unchanged, volatile, just waiting for the next spark. We need to catch ourselves on and act now, to prevent much worse in the future. I find it a disgrace, that one fo the richest countries in the world, allows people to exist on subsistence levels, in inadequate circumstances, without hope and without the means to move on in their lives. Condemned , discarded and forgotten.

I believe that it’s time for a National debate, where listening to the needs and aspirations of the people, particularly the young is essential. We need to provide the resources and incentives to allow them to see that they are valued and that they can do better for themselves by accessing higher education or vocational training, particularly in new technology, where the demand for their labour would be higher than the more traditional employment models. Most of all, we need to trust them and show it to do things for themselves, by empowering and encouraging their communities to work together to improve their environment. Hopeful signs are already there, in the cleanup campaigns, spontaneous giving and donations activated across communities. This could and should be developed to wider benefit in Hackney.

2 comments:

  1. Do you remember Louis Armstrong's 'Whenever you're down and out, the only way is up!'
    I think to some extent the shock of the last few days was needed as a wake-up call. Without it, we would probably have muddled on for ever. With it, there is at last hope that 'something may be done'.

    Laura Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this analysis. So many in recent days have been so knee-jerk, political reactions waiting for a cause. This is well balanced and well thought through.

    What now? How can we contribute to the topic not disappearing beneath the next major headlines? There has to be a real change soon.

    When you have Hazel Blears pop up and condemn the looting in Salford and no-one challenges her or laughts at her, you really know that all of society has lost its moral cmpass.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.