Thursday, 18 August 2011

Latest DDO Meeting


The meeting last Monday, went very well. The DDO was on excellent form, dressed in summer shorts, T-shirt and trainers - so un-clerical, that he was ultra relaxed.

We discussed the Essays I had written, particularly one I had written about the Riots and we discussed the situation and the role of the church and some of the inspiring things that I had read about and even blogged about. This was an opportunity to discuss an Essay-blog written by The
Rev Hayley Matthews, a priest who had been caught up in the Salford Riots and had stayed throughout just ‘being’. How inspirational I had found her story, which tied in very much with another aspect of Ordained Ministry. We spoke in some detail about my reflection on the riots and how the media, police and politicians were dealing with it, and in particular some of the biased, short-sighted suggestions being made. It was interesting to reflect on how, it had come through in his own sermon from the OT, Epistle and Gospel readings last Sunday.

We moved on to discuss the details of Selection, Initial Ministry Training and Continuing Ministry Education post ordination. Particularly the links in with the development of Common Tenure and how it was the same for both stipendiary and self-supporting ministry, albeit, curacy's were slightly different, one full time, one part-time. 

This was an engaging conversation as I felt that my knowledge of the training system was incomplete, and I had read some commentary on the internet challenging the churches leadership preparation and training for senior appointments. He gave me a detailed explanation of the system, how it has changed over time and how the new system, linked to common tenure was bringing the church belatedly, into the 21st Century in terms of Human Resource practices. He gave me a copy of the CME training criteria and explained the portfolio approach to it. A curate is required to complete all parts over the curacy which goes to the bishop towards the end of curacy to enable a decision, along with other reports, on future ministry deployment for the curate. It all made sense when I understood it.

I really felt affirmed. I know that I had visibly learned and grown during our discussiona. It was lively, two-way repartee. I continue to be impressed with the DDO’s determination to do the best for all potential ordinand's and to ensure that the church discerns a call to ministry fully and directs that call into the correct path.

It's clear that the meeting with the bishop next month is crucial. We have not organised a formal appointment, for next month, as the DDO is on holiday.   We will see the bishop's recommendation, if satisfactory,  he will book me onto a diocesan panel, probably in November and we will meet again in October.

 I had been to church earlier and said Morning Prayer aloud in an empty church.  I felt relaxed, prepared and just at peace. This feeling continues and I'm grateful to the DDO who, enables, encourages and supports my journey. I discovered that he's actually got 25 people in the system at various stages so, the fact that he gives me so much time is a blessing.

God be praised.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that . I had hoped that all was going well. Your DDO sounds very good and has given you what you needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you write about your journey, Ernie, I feel you are in a win-win situation. If you are accepted for ordination and in due course become a priest, you will have achieved your heart's desire and we will all benefit from your addition to the ranks of the clergy. If for any reason your ordination does not go ahead, your faith has been deepened and you have had a chance to explore all the ways in which God may be calling you, one of which I am sure will give you fulfillment. My prayers, as always, are with you for this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if you will be well prepared for the further stages in the selection process. DDOs are doing much more thorough work now with candidates than was sometimes the case in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are lucky to have such a dedicated and caring DDO. I've heard some horror stories!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.