Thursday, 25 August 2011
In Sickness and in Health
I'm was spurred on this morning to write a post about the Wedding Vows we took, particularly 'In Sickness and in Health' those promises which can sound so pat on the day, but bear so much meaning when a Christian marriage is blessed with spouses who whole heartedly take on the promises unstintingly, and give whole heartedly of themselves to each other.
I've been sick since Sunday evening, with a particularly nasty and virulent virus, which left me totally helpless to look after myself. It involved continuous nausea and diarrheoa over a 48 hour period, where stuff erupted from every orifice, even through my nose, giving me real worry about being able to breathe at times.
More worrying was a stabbing pain across my chest, which gave rise to worries about heart trouble. But checking that out, the heart was working normally, it was just a severe increase in stomach acid coming into the windpipe and throat causing severe heartburn.
I've never been the best of patients, I hate being unwell, as in my selfishness, I want to get on with things and just be and do whatever I feel necessary. On this occasion, I was to weak and giddy, just standing was an effort, accompanied by real giddiness which make me reel and have to hold onto things to take a few steps. Climbing the stairs to bed was out of the question, so I spent three nights on the coach, able to make a speedy exit to the facilities when necessary.
Accompanying me on this journey, has been Jen, my beloved spouse. I've nursed her when she has been ill and after several major operations in recent years, but in reality, I've been fortunate in having fairly robust health for most of our marriage, so she found nursing an invalid, especially a cranky one, something out of the usual.
I can only say, how wonderful she has been. She has been loving, patient, supportive, encouraging, nurturing and everything that the marriage promises seem to describe. In sickness and in Health, say that whatever happens, whatever state you get into, your spouse will be there, suffering with you, but doing their best to make things better.
I know that it takes a special type of grace to look after the sick and disabled, and even more when it is someone you love dearly, and the thing that comes across from this experience over the three days, has been the strength or her love for me has been demonstrated to me in spades.
Jen has cleaned up after me, has washed me, cuddled me and rushed around between work, the doctors and chemist to get the necessary medication. She has made up a bed for me on the coach and has even encouraged the cats to come and say hi, as I felt totally unable to make it to them. Jen has been my tower of strength, and today is our 24 th anniversary. I've not been able to buy her a card, get her flowers or chocolate and our planned celebratory dinner out tonight has had to be postponed. Her resilience in the face of the selfish, self-pitying person I became at the worst of the illness, is saint-like. And a Saint she is.
From my perspective, it reinforces the commitment that we make to each other in marriage. These days, its all to easy to turn your face away from a difficulty, to be critical of someone suffering, to ignore it and to tell them to pull themselves together. In marriage, the shared life together puts aside all such selfishness. It means sharing all and everything, no secrets. A whole hearted commitment to a partnership made by God, who I am sure brought us together all of those years ago. One that's for life, wherever it takes you.
I thank God for his blessings on our marriage and for Jen, whose love is so strong, and for my love for her. God be praised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do you know, Ernie, even though I have not met Jen, I am sure she will be far happier with this tribute to her, so sincerely and heartfully written, than she would have been with a card, flowers or chocolate. And your celebratory dinner together will be all the more celebratory when you are both well enough to enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteHappy anniversary!
Three nights on the coach? Didn't the driver complain?
ReplyDeleteGet well soon, we are saying a prayer for you on my blog today.
Ha! The word verification is "emeronic" which sounds like the last thing you need at this moment in time :-)