Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Goverment Cuts versus Morality

I have been watching the announcements on Government Cuts and have downloaded the actual papers from the Treasury Website.  http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/spend_index.htm

We all accept the cuts in public expenditure are necessary, but how the cuts are made is my question.  Where is the morality of targetting the poor, vulnerable, elderly, unemployed or incapcitated in our society when there are so many more, better off or rich, who can afford to pay others to help them avoid or evade paying their fair amount of taxation.

Where is the morality in targeting these groups, when you are prepared to go on funding policies that damage the environment and potentially destroy the planet, I refer of course to the obscene Trident Nuclear Missile system.

Where is the morality in targeting these groups, when you are prepared to collude with rich, global institutions in exploiting the poorest  and the resources in the developing world to produced cheap goods for consumers in the developed world.

Where is the morality in targeting these groups, when you accept that financial institutions and those in government have been found to be either corrupt or so negligent that they almost bankrupted the world's financial and fiscal security, while paying themselves obscene bonus's or expenses.

I suspect that ideology rather then principles are behind much of what is being done in our name, I had hopes that a coalition of liberal and conservative might be able to restore my faith and confidence in good government - I seem to have been sadly mistaken.

The country now has two choices, either accept it and get on with life, or to protest and to proclaim from the roof tops the unfairness of some of the proposed cuts.   I wonder if I will feel called to be on the barricades or to spectate.  I am not a natural demonstrator, but social justice might for the first time provoke me.    I must see what the Green Party says about all of this, they seem to be the only ones talking sense that I can understand at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.