Reflection on attendance at Christian New Media Conference:
I attended the conference held at City University in London last Saturday. The reasons for going were: first, I am a member of i-church, which utilise the internet for mission and evangelism. We also have a presence on facebook and use twitter to communicate online, about our activities. Secondly, I have an interest in what the church, itself, is doing online and the different approaches to being the church in a digital age. Thirdly, I am aware that my parish website is outdated, not particularly user friendly and using outdated technology to get its message out; I felt that I might learn something of use in this context. Last, but not least, I wished to meet some of the people with whom I regularly communicate on-line, face to face.
The conference was lively; the atmosphere was electric and full of excitement. The backgrounds of those attending was of all ages, and denominations, with the common features of being Christians and interested in the use of New Media to advance the work of the church through this medium. I met some of those I know online and it was a worthwhile for that alone.
A number of things struck me about the content of the conference and the people participating:
- The wide, disparate backgrounds of those involved, ranging from professional Christian media journalists, through Priests of various denominations to Christians and Evangelists (Dave Roberts). All united in one community for the day – seeking to serve God better through New Media.
- The sincerity and openness to knowledge, but the questioning and challenging that went on, especially when they felt patronised, e.g. when speakers covered ground that they already knew about, but also if they felt what was being said did not add up to them.
- The stance taken by speakers that while we were familiar with what they were putting over, we need to address the lack of confidence and suspicion of others within our churches, who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with the Digital Age.
- The inspirational speaking from people who are confident in their subject, who are subject matter experts, but who remain willing to take risks, to try new things, to get the knowledge and presence of Jesus out onto the internet, and to share their joy in him with anyone who was willing to listen and to join in.
- The statement that changes has always been a fact of life in the world and the church from day one. Comparisons with changes following the introduction of the first printed bibles to today were well drawn to help us appreciate that. The impact of the changes now underway is far reaching, it will require a change of culture at the heart of the church, if it is not to be left behind and become irrelevant. The task is huge and the workers are few – but committed and motivated to push on with change.
- The emphasis that New Media requires a New Theology, worked out in the light of these changes as they happen, not worked out in isolation by theologians with no knowledge or experience of New Media. Authority and authenticity are key elements being worked out for the digital age.
How has attendance affected my vocation?
I felt humbled and inspired by both my lack of knowledge or experience, but uplifted by the knowledge that there are so many people available to help me to learn more and to participate. Part of my feeling of a call to ministry has always seemed to involve some sort of evangelist role, which my Parish priest spoke to me about recently. I do not feel that the call has changed in that respect, but rather it has been expanded to acknowledge that parish based ministry can use new media in mission and evangelism as a new tool, which with imagination and the Holy Spirit working can help people to come to know Jesus in different, complementary ways. The scope is vast and open ended. I see this as a blessing for the church and a support for any future ministry that the church may discern for me.
I have grown in knowledge and experience through this conference – sharing with so many other Christians made being in their company virtually worship in its own right. Discussing how we may serve and worship God through the Digital media is inspiring and fulfilling.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.