Monday, 10 January 2011

Victim of Crime

I discovered today that someone, using a cheque book, sent to me by my bank, but never received, has ripped my bank account off by over £900.   If I had not checked my balance online, I would not have known until my next statement. The bank  is being helpful, but will not refund the amount taken until they can verify it is fraud, in addition, they say I cannot report a crime until they have verified it. Frustrating, in the meantime my account appears overdrawn through no fault of mine. I have an undertaking that once the investigation is complete that they will refund all charges and in the meantime will honour my direct debits etc. Not helpful that I cannot draw cash until this is resolved.  It takes 7 to 10 working days for them to send me a copy of the cheque as they are not allowed to email it.  Modern bank, stone-age technology.

Some things strike me about this:

1. I felt really shocked that someone could knowingly take money that wasn't theirs.

2. I felt very angry and violated - someone has been allowed to take a large amount out of an account, using one cheque, without a cheque guarantee card and without any apparent identity checks etc. Often I have had calls from the bank for smaller amounts challenging the debit - why not on this occasion?

3. I felt very judgmental against whoever did this! And then guilt about being so angry.

An hour or so later, having had some time now to reflect, I realized that my reactions are normal human reactions - which I should not feel guilty about, but ones which I need to bring under control a little more. Forgiveness springs to mind as the next step. Whatever happens after it is reported to the police, the transgressor deserves my forgiveness, while not condoning what they have done. It is out with my control, so trust in God that it will be resolved promptly and without any further anger on my part.

I pray that I am able to maintain this sense of forgiveness and balance as the situation develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.