Thursday, 20 January 2011

Episode 2 - Victim of Crime

Following my earlier post http://ukviewer.blogspot.com/2011/01/victim-of-crime.html on this topic, new developments have come about.

I waited patiently for the copy of the forged cheque to be sent to me within the stipulated 7-10 working days. Having had nothing by this morning, I actually rang to inquire where it was. Eventually being put through to the fraud department.

They said that they could not send the cheque as the image was too poor to be copied? Nobody had thought to ring or to let me know.

I reiterated my disappointment with their service for a number of reasons:

1. Broken promises.
2. Lack of communication.
3. Lack of a sense of urgency.
4. Concern about the account, now over £400 overdrawn with charges.
5. I had not had my statement either.

They came back with:

1. We apologise, but we have not in fact commenced a fraud investigation following your earlier call.
2. Your account is now frozen. You cannot issue cheques or draw cash unless you visit a branch with ID.
3. Once we put the phone down, we will not be able to talk to you about this account, unless you attend a branch in person with ID.
4. We believe that someone ordered a cheque book using your bank details, which are considered compromised, we will have to open a new acccount. We can't tell you how long this will take, it depends on the investigation's outcome.
5. We will write to you when the investigation is concluded, perhaps within a couple of days, more likely in a week or so.
6. If fraud is considered proven, we will refund the money taken and any charges that have been applied to the account.
7. Reporting it to the police was not something they did. They have police liaison who they only use if they think that there is a reasonable chance of a successful prosecution???
8. I could, if I chose to, report it to the police, although they were unable to share information with the police for data protection reasons? Even with my permission.
9. I can't speak to those conducting the investigation (nor could the agent I was dealing with) but they could call me at their discretion if they thought that I could help them?

By this time, my normally calm exterior was becoming a bit frayed, asking to talk to a manger elicited the response that there was no point as they would not know the circumstances and could not answer my questions.

In the end, I had to take a deep breath, grit my teeth and accept the situation, not that I am satisfied with them. The main frustration is being left in limbo with no communications from them - I am having to be proactive to remind them 'hey - there's a problem here - I've been ripped off - what are you doing about it.

So, the banks can please themselves. Their security systems are compromised, my bank account is frozen and I have to wait on their convenience to find out what is going on. I have now taken this to the police and financial ombudsman, to see if they can help the bank get a move on.

2 comments:

  1. Poor you.

    I hate that feeling of impotence, in the past when you asked to speak to a manager then you got some assurances... when and why did that stop happening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as an update, all now sorted. Money refunded and bank account restored. Still not happy with the bank, but at least some restoration of confidence.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.