I actually wrote this and posted elsewhere on 21st December, I thought that it was a summary of a great year in my life. I have amended it to protect the innocent.
Yesterday evening during worship, I reflected a little on how Exciting 2009 has been in my life. While I have had a full life, with lots of ups and downs, which is what life is about. In 2009, the first full year back as a Christian, answering a call from God, which is remains strong and full on - so much has happened.
Firstly, the call to some form of Ministry within the Church has now developed to the stage, where I feel that it is Ordained Ministry, which due to my age and circumstances, means Ordained, Local Ministry in a specific location - I feel called to Minister within my B&M Parish, the Bridge Benefice near Canterbury.
This call has been recognised in the Parish and I have become involved quite deeply in a Parish Placement, which has involved taking communion to people in Care Homes, supporting Worship in Reading and now latterly intercessions and actually been given the privilage of leading an Act of Worship for Remembrance Day. I is planned that I will be formally licensed by the Bishop as an Authorised Lay Minister for these duties in January. I also will be seeing the DDO in January, where I hope and pray that the call will be discerned to enable it to move forward.
I have now gained a Spiritual Director, who has proven thus far, to be supportive and truly helpful. I anticipate this relationship growing and developing in the new year. This relationship allows me to explore as yet unconsidered facets of the call and to help me deepen my faith and belief and to develop my personal prayer life. So it is immensely important for me.
In August, my spouse and I renewed our Wedding Vows at St Mary's church, the place where I was accepted into the Parish and the CofE in 2008. This was for us a day of great joy and reinforced our relationship of love and care for each other on so many levels.
In August, I actually retired from full time employment. In many ways a sad occasion, as I left behind a huge portion of my life (43 years) in the Army. However, it was time! I felt in many ways that being part of an organisation, which of necessity had to recruit young people, who would have to go to war in Afghanistan, was something which I had real concerns about. I have no regrets about my service, which has provided me with a good living and security in the form of a reasonable pension, and I continue to support my former friends and colleagues in what they do. Perhaps conscience is involved, but I just feel that we have been dragged into a war as a political expedient, which does not feel just or for the benefit of the population of Afghanistan.
The good thing about retirement, is seeing friends and colleagues, but without the stress and hassle of involvement of trying to do a hard job with tight financial constraints, diminishing resources but being expected to fulfill all statuatory duties to the fullest extent. In the last 2 years, I did my own job and that of an Officer, who had left and was not replaced due to financial constraints. Having to do this is draining, stressful and imposes conflicting responsibilities which cause all sorts of issues. Being in this situation is wearing physically and emotionally and I was glad to surrender it to someone else. Good luck to Linda my Successor.
Off course, there has been sadness. Some good friends have passed away, which has an edge when you have known them and also worked alongside them over many years - and of course, the migration of our grand children to Australia has given us some sadness. The reality is that a better life is offered there for them, so while regretting their leaving, we pray and hope that they will have a successful life there.
What I am trying to say here really is that God is working strongly in my life, I feel it every day and see his working in so many things. Things happen unexpectedly and in ways that cannot be coincidence to move things on. At the start of Lent I felt such excitement at the build up to Easter and the resurrection of Jesus as our Saviour. I feel a similar excitement now in anticipation of the Birth of Jesus being celebrated. I have done so much this year, The Pastoral Care Course, Joining the Course at Christchurch University and have met so many committed Christians whose life is for and through the Holy Spirit, it has served to help me grow and deepen my own faith.
Last and not least is my membership of i-church, which has been hugely beneficial to me with the fellowship, support, worship and affirmation of belonging to a community of people, none of who I have met, yet who feel closer to me than some of my friends that I have known for years.
God is wonderful, God is Great, God Is!!
God is wonderful, God is Great, God Is!!
ReplyDeleteAmen!
Your comments on my blog and elsewhere have been a real blessing.
Thank you.