Thursday, 27 February 2020

Lent and Ash Wednesday

We are now in to Lent, the season of Reflective Penitence.  At our Ashing Service yesterday, I was privileged for the first time ever to do the Ashing along side my Vicar.  Having spent a life time of being "done to" it was something new, and a sign of the real collaborative ministry that Simon employs, his inclusive mode of work is bearing fruit among our people, with people offering to serve in new roles for them and an increase in people signing up for our Lent Course.

I am in a position where my ministry has blossomed under his incumbency, given that there are 40 years between us, it is a sign that he values what few gifts that I possess, including regular preaching slots in services, but also pastoral visiting to take home communion and anointing the sick at times, when he isn't available.

He demonstrates how in church leadership, collaborative leadership isn't just a notion, it is doing God's work in action.  Also, he has a young family in the Vicarage, the first time in three previous incumbencies where young families were not about, this is bearing fruit in a different way, as more families are coming for Baptism and than making a commitment to stay and join in.

When the focus of the church appears to be growth using innovative methods of building new congregations, Simon demonstrates that a concentration of pastoral, caring, welcoming ministry, still has a place. We are growing, one family at a time and also many individuals who "come and see" in response to invitations from members of the church to friends or those that they meet and express their faith and the good news of the Gospel to.

This Lent, we will have new people joining us, and this year we also have six marriages booked so far, which is four more than the past five years.   And funerals in church, rather than at the Crem are rising.  We now have many more in church, than at the crem, sometimes two or three in a week.

Being so busy is a blessing, but also a source of stress, I tire easily these days, so need to pace myself, I also urge Simon to do the same.  But we have never been busier, so I am not complaining, just thankful that God is working so hard in our community.

I look forward to more of the same. Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.