Induction of Rev’d Lesley Crawley - St Mark’s Church, Upper Hale - Sunday 6 May 2012
On Sunday 6th May 2012, I and my spouse Jen, were invited to attend the Induction of the Rev’d Lesley Crawley as an associate priest to her husband’s benefice at St Mark’s Church, Upper Hale, Nr Farnham
in Hampshire. I had known Lesley, via the medium of the internet, her blog, via twitter and facebook for several years. I had participated with her blog, and she had in many ways, helped me to develop and to grow as a
Christian, while also seeking to explore a vocation to ordained ministry.
We jumped at the chance to finally meet Lesley and her husband in person, and possibly to network with others attending the service.
The Induction service was conducted by The Bishop of Dorking, The Right Rev’d Ian Brackley. It included the commissioning of a new Ministry Team for St Mark’s and the Benefice.
We arrived, in true military fashion, early for the event. And were met and greeted by ‘Winston’ who explained what was happening. Another welcomer, directed us to Rev’d
Lesley, who we met for the very first time. She made us welcome, but given it was a few moments before the service, we only had a brief conversation. We took our seats and almost immediately, Laura Sykes aka @layanglicana
and her husband came and sat alongside us. After introductions, we prepared for the service.
St Mark’s is a mid-Victorian build church, with walls rendered externally with local stone. Internally, it has some really lovely wall murals and paintings particularly in
the Chancel. It has been reordered in the recent past and is blessed with the addition of a parish centre, with modern facilities added onto the rear of the church.
The church was full to overflowing and the first hymn ‘Thine be the Glory’ played by a combination of Organ and music group, resounded to the rafters. I haven’t heard
such singing in a parish church, outside of Christmas or Easter ever.
We moved into the service which was Common Worship, with appropriate adaptions for the induction and licensing of the ministry team. We both found it prayerful and joyful for
those participating. The atmosphere was electric with anticipation and agape love was there in abundance. Bishop Ian delivered a warm sermon linked to the Gospel reading which prepared us for the induction and licensing.
Lesley’s induction and licensing was enlightening for both of us, who hadn’t seen one before. It was obvious that Lesley was happy and beaming as was Alan, her spouse and
incumbent. It included the prayerful part and formal part of swearing of oaths, which highlights the place of the CofE as the Established Church with the Queen as Governor. It seemed incongruous in some way to mention the
Book of Common Prayer, in a Common Worship service, but I rejoice that it retains an honoured place in this liturgy.
The rest of the service seemed to fly by. There were so many communicants, that it took some time. It was great to receive the Blood of Christ from Lesley herself, strangely,
it seems just appropriate on the day. The Choir sang hymns alongside the communion, ‘Will you leave yourself behind, If I call your name’ which is used in our parish and I love it. The closing hymn was the upbeat worship
song ‘All the tree’s in the fields will clap their hands’ which I have sung before, the second rendition greatly sped up, caught me out, but in a nice way.
After the service there was the opportunity to mingle with the parishioners and to share food and drink informally and of course to have a wider conversation with Lesley and
her husband Alan. In the end, I and my spouse spoke to a number of different individuals, my spouse being quite good at the circulating thing, while I remained static and spoke with those around me. I ended up in an Ecumenical
conversation with Rev’d Alan and the local RC Parish Priest, Fr Dave. It’s surprising how much we have in common on a person-to-person basis. This is when what divides us disappears and you see the local church for what
it really is an can be. A partnership in the community in the name of Christ.
Sadly, we had to leave before the bun fight finished, but departed heartened by our visit, and grateful for our welcome, the fellowship of everyone we met and of course the friendship
pouring forth from Lesley and Alan.
We came away refreshed and joyful. I came away affirmed that at local level, in a completely different place from my own comfort zone, the church is alive, well and flourishing.
That’s the story that doesn’t make the news, or get into the national media. Quiet work and pastoral care locally, building the kingdom day by day, hour by hour with each other.
That is a beautiful summary, Ernie, of what will remain a memorable day for me. Unusually I have nothing to add!
ReplyDelete