Monday, 4 July 2011

Ordination Service

Yesterday afternoon, I was privileged along with others from the benefice and parishes across the diocese to join the family and friends of the 14 Ordinands to be ordained priest at Canterbury Cathedral. This was the first time for me, and I was expectant and hopeful, particular as our curate, who has been an inspiration since she joined us last year, was to be priested.

I met our Curate outside the Cathedral on her way to anointing and she took the time to stop and to chat with me. I have been praying for her and her fellow Ordinands and shared thoughts about her big day with here and how I seemed seminal for me in seeing her progress. Being a ticket less event (for most of us) it was a bit of a scrum, but I was able to get an Aisle seat just behind the reserved seats, about halfway down the nave. Not a particularly good view, but I was just glad to be there, to be sharing such a momentous event in the journey of the Ordinands, and our Curate’s in particular.

The service was led by the Archbishop of Canterbury assisted by the Bishop of Dover. The Preacher was the former Bishop of Dover, Richard Llewellin, who has just returned from a 3 month stint in Palestine as a Peace Observer on the border between Israel and Palestine.

I found the whole service of Ordination and the Eucharist most uplifting. Particularly the singing, I don’t think there is anything quite like a large congregation in the Ancient Cathedral at Canterbury, ringing to the rafters as a very musical surge of sound. As is my wont, I visualized it knocking on the doors of heaven, demanding to be heard. (It was that sort of day). The whole service lasted two hours and it was well staged, vibrant and electrifying in places, particularly the ‘Rite of Ordination’ and the 'Eucharist'. Cathedral worship is a little more complex than parish worship and the choice of prayers used seems to be a wider use of common worship set services. The Archbishop has a melodic voice which resounded when he sang some of the service. The choir was magnificent and Richard Llewellin’s sermon resonated. It seemed to me that joy and grace was bathing all there, particularly for those being priested, but also those supporting them. Love streamed to and fro and we were united in one accord, worship of service to God.

Afterwards the Archbishop and the Bishop of Dover remained outside to meet and to greet the congregation and we were than able to meet and greet our new priests. Our curate was full of joy and excitement, which I believe we fully shared and I was gifted with a hug and a kiss on the cheek which just seemed to me to be right and natural. She is shortly to be married, so the cause for double joy for her this month. By this time I was quite tired and having a long journey, had to leave. I would have loved to stay and share more, but knew that I had much to go home, to pray and to reflect upon.

What did I get from this day?


It’s difficult to expound to much without sounding deferential, but it’s at occasions like this when I reflect back on my own reception (confirmation) into the Church of God at the Cathedral in November 2008, I just seem to be taking steps on a path, one at a time, sometimes knocked back, but always with an impetus to persevere and to push on. The Cathedral has a special place in my heart. Following my confirmation. I know that my journey as a Christian had started as a child, had been abandoned, but seemed to be really kick started at that confirmation. Immediately after just as I was coming down from the high, I received, the voice inside started nagging at me ‘its not enough - there’s more to do’ which has led me so much further on a journey, which I could not have imagined three years ago and If I am honest, I would had not believed.

For me, the experience of the three prior services I attended, reflect how worship can be so uplifting, but, can on occasion, disappoint. I go to worship hoping and seeking an experience where I feel God and the Holy Spirit to be present with us. In the main, I get this experience. Sometimes intensely, sometimes not at all. It also reflects on times when I personal prayer I really feel surrounded by the Spirit and feel comforted, warmed and even glowing. At other times I can feel nothing, but know that the routine and discipline of personal prayer is integral and really needs to be inbuilt. Not something to be picked up and laid aside when convenient. It needs total surrender of the heart, mind and spirit.

Something of which, will give the joy and certain knowledge as at the Ordination Service of fulfillment, of affirmation, but just being at peace and resting in God’s love. Ordination services are special, but it seems to me that we should treat every single act of worship or prayer as a renewed meeting with God, with greetings, praise and acknowlededment of how much he has done for us and to share with him our cares and woes along with our life. He is there, he is listening, he is comforting, he is affirming, he is Love.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for this moving account of the ordination service. You describe it so vividly I feel as if I were sharing it with you.
    For me prayer needs to be a routine, like brushing your teeth. Just occasionally, you do get that rush where you feel transported; more often you get a feeling that you are being listened to and perhaps given a nudge in one direction or another. And sometimes it feels as if there is no one there. But it's rather like winning the lottery - you can't expect to do so unless you buy tickets on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this blog are moderated by the Author.